Weekend storm forecast includes flooding. Be prepared!
Folsom Police Department Offers advice for this weekends storms!
It’s important to be prepared for a wet winter at your home or business. The City of Folsom is encouraging residents and businesses to get prepared for winter storms that could cause localized flooding, dangerous driving conditions and power outages.
Preparing for a Storm
· Clear your drains, rain gutters, and downspouts of debris. Put leaves and other yard debris in your green waste container, and help keep storm drains free of leaves and debris during rains. Trim trees and remove broken branches.
· Consider obtaining flood insurance or checking your existing policy to make sure you have enough coverage.
· Make an emergency kit with flashlights, batteries, water, nonperishable food and other essentials in case of a power outage.
· The City of Folsom, in cooperation with the Sacramento County Office of Emergency Services, uses an alert system to notify residents of emergencies. To register or obtain additional information for that service, go to http://www.sacramento-alert.org/.
· Have an emergency plan in place. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website http://www.ready.gov has valuable information on how you can prepare your family for an emergency.
· Secure all loose lawn and patio furniture or other loose items in your yard when a storm is approaching.
· If your property has a history of flooding, prepare your property with sand and sandbags in advance of the storm. The City has opened sandbag stations, and will offer free sandbag materials next to Fire Station 36 at 9700 Oak Avenue Parkway and behind City Hall at 50 Natoma Street. Sandbags are also available at online retailers and home improvement stores. Learn more at http://www.folsom.ca.us/sandbags.
During the Storm
· Monitor local weather forecasts.
National Weather Service Forecast System Information Line 979-3051 or http://www.weather.gov/sacramento
Folsom Police Department
46 Natoma St
Folsom, CA 95630