Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Makes: 6 Servings
Inspired by a popular children’s book with a similar title, this hot main dish creatively combines brown rice, spinach, eggs, and ham to create a great wholesome meal that satisfies the pickiest of eaters.
1 3/4 cups Brown rice, long-grain, regular, dry
1/3 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup Frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained
5 Large whole eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup Extra-lean ham or turkey ham, diced 1/4″ (2 oz)
1/4 cup Fresh green onions, diced
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
1. Combine brown rice and 4 ½ cups water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low. Cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 30-40 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Add salt to rice. Mix well. Set aside. A rice cooker may be used with the same quantity of brown rice and water.
2. Drain water from spinach by squeezing thawed spinach with hands. Set aside.
3. Whisk together eggs and 1 Tbsp water.
4. Cook half of the eggs in a large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Remove eggs from skillet to cool. Chop cooled eggs and set aside. Reserve the
remaining eggs for step 6.
5. Heat vegetable oil in a wok or a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add ham and cook for 2 minutes or until ham begins to brown.
6. Reduce heat to medium. Add brown rice and toss to mix. Add remaining eggs. Stir for 5 minutes or until egg is fully cooked.
7. Add green onions, spinach, chopped egg, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Stir well. Cook until thoroughly heated. Serve hot.